November 19, 2011

My thoughts on Guns

Recently, I was in a discussion about guns and the fact that laws were passed that make it legal to carry concealed. I replied that it will make it even more dangerous to go out into public, especially here in Rhode Island where all the crazies are...If you look at them in a way that they don't like, which is common in the area that I live in, they'll whip it out and BAM, youre dead.

The argument was that "law abiding citizens" know the rules and yada yada.........My argument is.....WHO decides who the law abiding citizens are? What makes them think that said "law abiding citizens" ARE such? Why, because they have no criminal background? No gun charges? Nothing like that? Why, because their credit is squeaky clean?

Im not apologetic for feeling the way that I do about guns and get highly pissed when people try to argue and say that I'm WRONG for my opinion..........I have seen, with my OWN EYES, situations with guns killing people first hand that MAKES ME HAVE these feelings....and then they make excuses about how "guns dont kill people, but people kill people"....OR "oh, well that was an irresponsible gun owner, he shouldnt have done x,y and z".....Sometimes even X,Y and Z can get screwed up and GUNS end up in the wrong hands (i.e. a 2 yr old little boy that shoots himself)...GUN ARE DANGEROUS...................and im fucking TIRED AS HELL of people telling me IM WRONG for the way that I feel about this....

I love how in this particular discussion, someone who doesn't know ME or what Ive been through or SEEN, made the judgement call and said that I should "keep on drinking the kool-aid" of the "Anit-gun morons"...........First of all, I am not a fundamental Christian.....I don't FOLLOW what the "anti-gun morons" do. I am Wiccan. I believe in "'An it harm NONE..." Guns are included in that. I believe that guns are used to HARM PEOPLE. Therefore, it goes against my very nature and beliefs to believe in them. Law abiding or not.

And I resent the fact that the gun toting individuals that are on my page scream at me, rant and rave and flip out for MY beliefs. I don't scream and rant and rave at THEM for carrying, or liking guns...............I respect their opinion and respect their right to bear arms if they want to....Its their RIGHT too...........BUT I DONT HAVE TO FUCKING LIKE IT, nor do I make them feel, or, well, TRY to make them feel bad or wrong for their beliefs like this one particular douche-bag did by saying that I should "keep drinking the kool-aid"...........hey dude, FUCK YOU.

When I was enlisting in the Army, its something that I struggled with everyday that I was going to have to carry one. Would I have? Of course, because I would have been fighting for my country and it was required of me... Would I have liked it? Hell no.... FUCK no even.... I would have hated it and even chose an MOS that I didn't HAVE to carry one for. And, fate decided that I wasn't to be in the Army so I wouldn't have to sacrifice my beliefs or my morals...

My belief is that guns should not exist. Period. And if they have to exist, take every single gun off the street, out of homes and only make it so our armed forces (Police officers included) have them.

How many accidents have happened with "law abiding citizens'" guns?

In the U.S. for 2006, there were 30,896 deaths from firearms, distributed as follows by mode of death:

Suicide 16,883

Homicide 12,791

Accident 642

Legal Intervention 360

Undetermined 220.

This makes firearms injuries one of the top ten causes of death in the U.S. The number of firearms-related injuries in the U.S., both fatal and non-fatal, increased through 1993, declined to 1999, and has remained relatively constant since. However, firearms injuries remain a leading cause of death in the U.S., particularly among youth...

The number of firearms injuries remains high in the United States, compared with most of the rest of the world. Firearm suicide rates are strongly impacted by the rate of gun ownership...(LAW ABIDING OR NOT) There is a positive correlation between homicide rates and availability of guns in developed nations. The number of firearms in the hands of private citizens (again, law abiding or NOT) continues to grow each year at a rate far exceeding that of the population as a whole. It might even be said that Americans live in a "gun culture" based upon traditions and behaviors well-entrenched in our society. This is reflected in our constitution, whose second amendment guarantees that "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." Though the application of this amendment applied to maintenance of a militia, and not private gun ownership, the second amendment has been consistently interpreted to protect private ownership of many types of guns.

Child safety is also an important issue. Firearms injuries are the second leading cause of non-natural death in childhood and adolescence. Accidental shooting deaths are most commonly associated with one or more children playing with a gun they found in the home. The person pulling the trigger is a friend, family member, or the victim. A study of nonnatural deaths in a large American city revealed that half of such deaths in persons from 10 to 19 years of age were due to homicide, and firearms were involved in 88% of them............and yet Guns arent dangerous and yet, Im WRONG for my feelings and my beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment